Wednesday, April 23, 2008

A Big One


One of my favorite memories from working at Disneyland:

Tommy (AKA 'Tammy') J. was one of the more outrageous queens that worked in the parade department as a dancer in the eighties. He was also uniquely fashionable. Considering the number of flamboyant male performers at that time, that's saying something.

I was in the employee (cast member) cafeteria, backstage, when an afternoon parade had just finished coming down Main Street. The parade performers were on a lunch break. One of the female dancers got in line and ordered a baked potato.

"Do you want a big one or a little one?" the serving lady behind the counter asked.

"I want a big one," the girl replied, just as Tommy J. walked into the cafeteria.

"Honey," he said from the doorway, "we all want a big one."

6 comments:

Lion's Cub said...

Hey! I think I remember Tommy--tall slim guy with a thin, long face, riight? Looks a little like Alanis Morisette?

the last noel said...

Wait, there were gay guys who worked in Disndyland? No!

Peter Varvel said...

LC, ha ha! Maybe an African American version of Alanis . . .

N, during my first year there, I bitterly thought that they should put a warning on their employee applications: "Working here may cause you to come out of the closet!" LOL

the Constantly Dramatic One said...

AHAHAHAHAHAHAH!! That's funny.

Which Disneyland did you work in? I been to Disneyland, LA aaaaages go. When I say ages ago that was like in 1997, I was 11 years old. Meh, so damn old now.

Peter Varvel said...

CD, you are not old. I was 31 in 1997, and that was a decade after having worked at Disneyland in California, ha ha!

quin browne said...

omg

you worked there when i went there with the fmdkids


omg


AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!