Monday, March 7, 2011

Britney Pants


Nothing makes me feel more "politely Japanese" than when I'm trying to make someone feel less embarrassed than they already are.

I had a phone call from a potential student over at that film school I work at in L.A. He asked me about financial aid, a standard question.

"What is your email address, please?" I asked. "I can send you the link for the online application."

The caller, a guy in his late 20's, seemed reluctant to tell me. He stammered a bit before telling me that it was 'Britney pants at xmail dot com.'

"Oh, that's nothing," I said, attempting to reassure him. "Believe me, we've gotten a lot worse" (such as 'nunsgivehead at xmail dot com' - true story).

I was tempted to ask him, "Is that 'Britney pants' as in she breathes heavily? Or as in 'I'm wearing my special Britney pants today!'?"

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I love it when people don't seem to know they're allowed to have more than one email address. I got a work-related email from blackstallion@xmail.com. I tried to tell myself he was just a fan of horse novels.

Peter Varvel said...

Cheryl, yours should be MyLittlePony@xmail.com! :)