Tuesday, June 15, 2010

New Songs


Last week I went to my first singing audition in over a year. I almost chickened out, too. I had actually cancelled my audition appointment, but then I was cajoled to show up anyway, just for kicks and giggles.

I had nothing to lose, so I went and sang. We even danced a little at the audition, which was for a revue at a dinner theater. The audition went well and I realized that I had panicked for nothing.

I did not get the show. I was a little disappointed but more relieved. The time commitment was pretty grueling, with night time rehearsals going until 11:00 pm. Not bad when you're a struggling actor waiting tables and can sleep in, in the mornings. Not a good choice, though, when you need to stay awake forty hours a week at a day job.

I will wait for the next audition, for the right opportunity.

Last week I had my first private voice lesson in forever. That went well, also. I asked a friend to recommend a teacher and the instructor turned out to be exactly what I was looking for - someone with an extensive background in musical theater and one who is able to guide me to songs that are age-appropriate for me.

My new voice teacher recommended "I Am Adolpho" as a good comedy piece for me. The song is from "A Drowsy Chaperone" (look it up on youtube - it's a hoot!). I found a reasonably priced collection of vocal selections from that musical on ebay.

The new instructor also pointed me toward musicnotes.com, a web site where you can pay to download music and print it out, for an average of about $5.00 a song - and all legally, too! I am amazed at the Age of Instant Gratification that we live in (and I am, perhaps, a little too easily impressed).

I made my first music purchases online tonight: George Michael's "Kissing a Fool" (to replace the copy I had bought more than twenty years ago and have since misplaced), and Nick Gilder's "Hot Child in the City" (youtube that one, too, if you don't know it!).

Lately, I have been doing vocal warm ups during my scooter ride into work, working on increasing my range, both with the lower bass notes and the higher falsetto notes. I have noticed an improvement in my breathing capacity, something I have practiced and benefited from in recent jogging and swimming.

I look pretty youthful for my age, but I will never again be cast in a young leading or supporting role. I can never be one of the teenagers in "Grease" or "Hairspray" or "Bye Bye Birdie." I will never be able to play Jack in "Into the Woods," one of my dream roles.

But I may still have time to get cast in a production of "The Full Monty" some day, or maybe land a featured part in "Little Shop of Horrors." I may be too old to ever play Matt in "The Fantasticks" again (my first musical in high school), but I could get cast as one of the fathers or maybe even El Gallo. Even just thinking about the possibilities is enough to perk me up.

I need to get new head shots!

3 comments:

Chris said...

Okay, so maybe you can't play Riff or Bernardo anymore, but I think you'd make a pretty impressive Doc. Except with the Asian heritage thing, you'd have to make it a massage parlor or nail salon rather than a drugstore (or was it a candy shop? They had sodas and stuff, but then Anita went there to get aspirin for Maria . . . ah well, I digress).

FYI . . . my word verification for this comment was "fielypeg". Kinda fun to say, isn't it? Fielypeg.

Chris said...

The Fantasticks! Ah yes . . .

"You get a bit sore at first, dying like that, but I like it. I've been dying for 40 years, ever since I was a boy. Ah, you should've seen me in those days, I could die off a 90-foot cliff. Backwards! People used to come from miles around. Die again, Mortimer, die again! 'Course, I never did."

Why the hell do I still have that line memorized?

Oh yeah, because I only had, like, four in the entire show.

Word verification: medgedah. Not as much fun as fielypeg.

KK said...

I would love to see one of your shows again someday. Please let me know when you do make one. I'd fly out to see it if I could (a great perk working for SWA!)

I've wanted to be Yente the Matchmaker for forever...even as a kid. It's such a fun character! Someday maybe. I keep thinking I'd love to do theatre again when I have the time. Maybe when I'm done with school.

Good luck with whatever you find, Peter!